Monday, November 20, 2006

Chapter 1: Identification Division.

21st December 1980 : 0950 Hrs Matunga Mumbai.

That was when I first saw sunlight… (Well how is a newborn supposed to distinguish between halogen and sun any way?) and presumably made my parents happy.

There was a lot of celebration that day… my entire neighborhood feasted on sambhar rice and rasam flowed instead of water… (Well somehow my dad managed to fill the tanks of the building with rasam… much to the ire of my neighbors… who would have preferred whiskey instead). Some of them who survived the ordeal still swear that their sweat tastes like rasam… why they keep tasting their sweat… I don’t really know.

My parents used to live in a notorious neighborhood of Antop Hill, known for its cold blooded murders of senior citizens, dowry deaths and communal sensitivity. My dad worked for Morarjee mills and earned a meager salary just enough to take care of his new born son, wife and himself, and shared his brothers flat. (I would stick to my family for now, will introduce ppl as and when required).

My dads brother (now an Ex income tax additional commissioner) was provided a government quarters by the income tax department, that he was kind enough to share with my parents.

Most of my early days passed without me achieving much, not that I am accomplished in my field now… but it is much better now than what it used to be.

It was the day of my naming ceremony, I don’t remember the date though… the calendar was in English and this happened long before I started schooling. And as per South Indian rituals my ear would be pierced and I would be given a name… probably one that belonged to my ancestor who accomplished great tasks and was a delight to be remembered.

In my case the name that was chosen was that of my paternal grandfather, the real reason was never told to me, just a mention that he was the most influential figure in my fathers’ family and the name was open for taking. (The siblings that I had then, included just my cousin sister, my cousin brother was not yet born and I was the first alpha male amongst my “existing” siblings, so I guess it was all a matter of pride as to who get the fathers name).

I was named “Krishnaswamy” after the great “Krishnaswamy Iyengar”.

I could have retained the anonymity through out my blog, but there are many amusing incidents that would have been forsaken for they revolved around my name.

And nothings better than sharing a few laughs.

No comments: