Friday, June 30, 2006

Code Wars : Episode 5 (Pi – The Rationale)

Name: Pi (Name changed to protect Identity)

Sex: Male

Age: General (The highest post in the Indian ArmyJ)

Height: 6’ 1’’

Brain:Body Mass = Is an MBA. (Need I say more? help me out here… let ur imagination run wild)

I don’t really know into how much “hot water” this profile would be getting me into, but none the less I really feel that if I don’t profile this person, I would leave this blog wanting…

Pi as he is lovingly called (other variants are Paai – by southies including me , Piee – by Maharashtrian’s and “Phai” by himself during telecon’s, so the actual three lettered verbiage seldom makes an appearance) is the heart of the project ( I was about to write “Brain” and then realized that its us who do the coding… so gave him the most important part of the human viscera). Put in simple words… he sees to it that all of us are occupied with fruitful work that can be billed to the client and none of us takes up writing blogs for a living.

(Now that I think of it... I can actually call this blogging of mine “lighter vein Profiling” First coined by me on the 30th of July 2006, and rake in some moolah all the while…Note to self: Take this up seriously).

Now for his hobbies, he is an avid reader an even avid borrower (of books… I am now certain that my book has been formally shredded, and mailed to my residence address…, that I have touched his frayed nerve ending… that’s what ppl refer to in Hindi as “dukhti rakht par pair rakhna”) , he is also into jokes, but he enjoys being on the listening end as opposed to the cracking, in which I find immense pleasure (immense doesn’t even come close…I actually mean immenserererer), so our lines never cross… he enjoys (or at least pretends to enjoy) the joke that I crack…(lest I make him the subject of the next joke…) what ever be the case, he pulls it off quite well.

He is an M.B.A professionally (Master of Business Administration) and personally (Married, But Available) and that is what knits us together as a team… we get to check out babes with our PM. (note to self: Remove this)

The subject that he “Mastered” in his masters was “The art of Motivation” , One might think that it a real good subject to do a masters in… but unfortunately for us, the book contained only a single chapter i.e. “The Carrot and stick approach”.

To the un-gyaaned: (wikipedia offers no solace here, so I have resorted to a different website: http://adtimes.nstp.com.my/jobstory/jun26a.htm)

K-gyan: A very widely known motivational concept is the “Carrot and Stick” approach. Many managers see motivation in terms of this notion and so their efforts to motivate is limited to asking the question; should I bribe people or simply threaten them? However, when put into practice, this concept is found to be more complicated than this…. More available at the website.

The classical approach is to hit with a “stick” when one falters and reward with a “carrot” on doing good work, but he has adapted to the situation quite well and has implemented the approach with the carrot tied to the end of the stick as shown in the image below…

The good thing in this approach is you actually get the carrot on performing well… and the bad thing…the “carrot” here is not a metaphor.

I have never felt so free with any of the PM’s that I have ever worked with, and neither have I had such strong opinions (read cared enuff) about them so as to pen it down.

The reason being all male PM (and prospective male PM’s… I am being specific so that some day if they do go thru the blog… they can identify themselves) in my earlier company were all… lets say “their mommy was a female dog”

After working for Pi, I would not even think of getting my project changed to something that is not managed by him, whatever is the incentive, and most of my team mates would be supportive of the fact, as they think on the same lines. (Note to readers: this is not a kiss up; will let you know when I am kissing up, and boods I am excusing you)

Overall he is a great sport (which you might have guessed by now… if you are reading this in my blog… if you have received this thru a mail… he is not such a great sport after allJ), he is a great listener… (gurls u will be impressed to meet this great guy… only thing that might bother you a little, is that he stuffs cotton into his ear… but that’s a personal choice… and I draw a line between personal and professional life… my blog, as u see, is strictly professional.) And is all ears and more importantly acts upon your opinions and suggestions. He is also defendant of his resources and lets no one lift a finger on us…

Now for the downside for the guy… he excels in all fields but at the same time cannot bear a hurt ego… he goes to the extent of purchasing a car to set his ego right… but this in no way impedes the relation ship the project shares with this guy, we don’t mind that… (by we I am collectively referring to the entire project members) all males have issues with ego and we are good as long as we don’t need to bear the financing of the car with part of our take home salary/bonus, plus we get additional free transportation for parties.

It’s well over 2 pages that I have started describing this guy, and I still have a lot to cover up before I finally end this.

You can discuss on any subject with this guy… from the “Birds and the bees” talk to “technical” to downright “financial”, he knows every subject there is to discuss… (He is quite talented u see… no sarcasms here)

The reason why he makes such a good “Boss” is that he is an opportunity seeker, always on a look out for better opportunities (both in-site and onsite) for every member of his team, well almost everyone (except for a few GL’s … to be dead precise.. 1 GL).

K-gyan: GL (Acronym for group leader): Is an Individual who manages a group… sheesh… how much denser do people get here.

As a man his age (I am in no way hinting that he is Old… no sarcasms here either) his dance moves can put a 20 year old to shame. And my… does he move…, he even has a trademark move called “The pelvic gyration a la Pi”, which is just plain awesome considering the fact that he is not a yoga instructor, well…not at least to our knowledge…

K-gyan: The pelvic gyration a la Pi: a classical dance step which when done with a girl “sans clothing” can guarantee u a kid in nine months J. Don’t even bother looking this up in Wikipedia…

K-gyan-addendum:

For the dense..er who walke’th amongst us the “sans clothing” in the gyan above is applicable to both the dancers and not just to the girl…and discounts for any infertility issues… just when you think that things couldn’t be any worse.

Finally to sum him up in four words:

“He is the best” … believe me (I need not even put this in words... cause my salary revision is all done…, but the truth prevails and this is it. Every one in our team would agree upon.. At least the people profiled…)

Well after reading all this I know what people would be wondering, at least my peers back in my office… and that would be… “Does this get me any vouchers…” to be frank… I really don’t know… but shoppers stop is real close to ma home… (Wink Wink)

Put ur hands together for this man with the “ratio(nale)” hidden in his name and who is always available for intelligent discussions (now I realize why he used to avoid me all the time) , give it up to π… and this closes the circle of my project… well almost.

1 comment:

Anirudh said...

hats off :)