Thursday, December 14, 2006

Chapter 18: RGIT... Downside

I also had my first heartbreak when I was in the third year, my babe broke up with me, and it was painful. I did not disclose it to anyone, though I have a feeling that those close to me did feel that something was deeply amiss. I wrote a few poems to vent my feelings out, wrote mails to check if the relationship could be mended, and when all attempts were futile, accepted the reality of the situation and tried to move on. I could not however for a year and a half.

My grammy expired when I was giving my 4th semester and my elder uncle when I was giving my 6th. Those four years were the most turbulent for me as I went thru the highs and lows of happiness. My life was a boat and it was rocking.

Upside again… for me that is.

My cousin brother who was exceptionally well at studies did not manage too well in engineering, had a few failures and managed to clear the final year with a first class. No one in my family questions me about my studies.

When our final year results were declared, my dad was not in talking terms with my uncle C (my cousin brothers Dad) my uncle B acted as a channel through which messages could be passed to both the families. On knowing that I had a great result in engineering, my uncle C (read: a last desperate try) asked my Uncle B to find out what my actual percentage was (for he had discreetly hoped that his kid, my cousin might have scored better, he was to) he also went to the extent to inform my Uncle B to specifically ask me for my combined percentages in the 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th semesters (in my days, the final year class was given on the basis of combined percentages of the semesters mentioned above, because of which it was considered very difficult to score a first class in Mumbai University, but times have changed now). Below is an excerpt from the phone call that actually transpired between me and my uncle B.

The day after my results were declared : afternoon 3:00 pm: Bhandup

Me: Hello

Uncle B (UB): congratulations Anand, just got to know you cleared engineering from my sister.

Me: Thanks

UB: What percentage did u score.

Me: 72%

UB: (thinking that this is exceptionally high to be the combined percentage since my cousin had secured around 66%) I mean the combined percentage.

Me: That what I told you, my percentage in the last year is 78.

UB: Great, keep it up.

Me: Don’t worry I will, have a nice day.

I don’t know what happened after that, but from that day no one has ever compared my scores in public (which used to be their pastime earlier). I have actually become a demi-god and my uncle B has also changed his attitude towards his son’s studies, he now accepts the fact that if it’s your interest, you would do well, sadly... my Uncle C still sticks to his belief.

No comments: